Have no clue where to start? Take to the internet there are a lot of sites out there. Here are a few:
I stumbled upon Karen Macaloon while trying to determine my style. She has a standard set of questions that she asks all her clients that IMO are bang on for helping you find your style. I often ask myself these questions during the design process:
- What do you have a lot of? Is there a recurring them in your home? For me it's the color grey. I'm fifty shades of grey over here; it's in my living room, my bedroom, the powder bathroom, and basement. It's safe to say I like grey.
- What is the one thing in your home that you will never get rid of? Why do you like it? For me it's a clock I bought from Pottery Barn. I like that it's modern but has a vintage feel to it. Which is exactly my style "Modern Classic".
- Where do you shop? Do you repeat the same places? Most home furnishing stores have set design style. The ones you favor are tell tale of you style.
- Art-What kind of art do you like? Art is visual. It has no function in the home what so ever? For me it's cultural and timeless, Buddhas, Moroccan tile, and African masks.
- What ties the stuff in your home together? Color, texture, wood type, clean lines? For me it's color (grey), Wood (dark-furniture, lighter floors), and simple lines. I don't like fussiness.
- What's your favorite hotel? Urban high rise swanky? Bed and breakfast? Heavy wood, traditional? Hotels have clear design styles. Copy it. My favorite hotel is the Viceroy Miami.
Stay tune more to come on how I FINESSE my home.